I believe research can improve policymaking by formulating research questions driven by the practical concerns of policymakers and cooperating closely with government in research design and execution.
Here is a video produced about some of my collaboration with Ghana’s Office of the Head of Civil Service.
Selected policy briefs, reports, and other material
- “External Validity and Policy Adaptation: From Impact Evaluation to Policy Design.” PEGNet Policy Brief 18/2019, October 2019.
- With Walter Brown, Daniel Rogger, and Ella Spencer. “Information and innovation in the public sector.” IGC Growth Brief September 2019.
- With Stefan Dercon, Imran Rasul, and Daniel Rogger. “How do management practices in government change over time? Evidence from Ghana.” Economic Development and Institutions Research Insight, July 2019.
- “Collaborating for impact: A partnership in Ghana.” Short video sponsored by IGC, May 2018.
- “Ghana’s infrastructure: The mystery of misspending.” Short video sponsored by IGC, viewed over 18,000 times and broadcast on national television and radio in Ghana, March 2018.
- With Imran Rasul and Daniel Rogger. “Autonomy, incentives, and the effectiveness of bureaucrats.” VoxDev Blog Post, September 2017.
- “External validity and policy adaptation: a five-step guide to mechanism mapping.” Blavatnik School of Government Policy Memo, July 2017.
- With Imran Rasul and Daniel Rogger. “Management and bureaucratic effectiveness: A scientific replication in Ghana and Nigeria.” IGC Policy Brief June 2017.
- “Variation in Infrastructure Delivery and Management Quality Among Ghana’s Local Governments.” IGC Project Memo, February 2016.
- “Bricks-and-mortar institutions matter: Project delivery and unfinished infrastructure in Ghana’s local governments.” IGC Policy Brief, November 2015.
- “There Is More Than One ‘Public Sector Way’: The Diversity of Management Practices in Ghana’s Government”. November 2013 Policy Brief for Government of Ghana.
- “Different Problems, Different Solutions? Budget Performance and Practices in Ghana’s Ministries”. November 2013 Policy Brief for Government of Ghana.
Selected citations by policymakers and media
- Editorial in Ghana’s Daily Graphic newspaper about my research on unfinished development projects (website)
- The International Growth Centre features two of my projects as Impact Case Studies in its 2015-16 Annual Report (pdf)
- Director-General of Ghana’s NDPC cites my research showing that one-third of local government infrastructure projects are abandoned mid-construction, 20th October 2015 (pdf)
- Director-General of NDPC discusses my research on Ghana’s Citi FM Breakfast Show, 5th August 2015 (audio – starts at 0:22)
- Overseas Development Institute infographic uses statistics from my research on infrastructure delivery in Ghana (website)
- “The Political Economy of Unfinished Development Projects” featured in the Center for Global Development’s “What We’re Reading” newsletter, 1st April 2016
- “The Political Economy of Unfinished Development Projects” cited in This Week in Africa newsletter, 1st April 2016